Search This Blog

5/9/07

dredg, July 26, 2005



Well dredg was a lot of fun, as usual. They were in top shape, despite Gavin's claim to the contrary (insofar as his vocals went). He said, at the beginning, that he wasn't up to par, and that he'd "redeem himself" the next time they came through town (which will be in October). However, if you ask anyone who heard the show last night, I'm sure they'd report that Gavin was in full swing, delivering a moving and powerful vocal performance, as he always does.

Dino broke a stick at one point, and later on in the set, when Gavin tried a hand at some percussion, he too broke a stick from the force of his savage drumming. It was that early song of theirs that gets all crunchy in the middle, where Gavin nearly destroys that dulcimer-like instrument. I have the worst time remembering the proper titles of dredg songs, I swear. But their music never fails to carry me away, as it always does for the whole crowd.

There was no moshing at dredg, this time. Oftentimes, there is, of course because dredg's music is powerful and intense. But though the intensity was not lessened in the least, if anything they amped it up some this time, nonetheless the crowd was way too internally tuned to the flow and ebb of their beautiful music to ruin it by thrashing about. Totally chill scene, and I got to hang out with the guys once again afterwards, had em sign my CD and exchanged pleasantries. I even told Mark & Gavin (their guitarist & vocalist, respectively) that they were my favorite new band of the 21st century - - and that the old honor went to PINK FLOYD, back in the 20th century. I think they were dutifully impressed by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment